We bake this at home all the time as we are chocoholics!
I first wrote a sweet potato brownie recipe eight years ago for my first book.
Since then everyone has created a version, so I thought it was about time to update my old one. We bake this at home all the time as we are chocoholics!
Makes 9 brownies
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 1 hour 20 minutes
320g sweet potato
360g honey or maple syrup
200g gluten-free plain flour
(add 20g more for spelt or plain wheat flour)
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
140g cacao powder
100g choc chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a 23cm baking tray.
- To cook the sweet potato, you can either put the whole potato in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until soft the whole way through or peel, chop into small chunks and steam until soft.
- Put the cooked sweet potato into a blender with the butter, honey or maple syrup and eggs.
Blend until smooth.
- Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cacao powder into a bowl. Mix together so there are no lumps.
- Add your blended wet mix to the dry and mix thoroughly until completely combined.
- Put into the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Take out, sprinkle with the choc chips if using, and leave to cool on a wire rack before cutting.