Sleep is an integral part of our lives. To put things in perspective, let us take the average amount of time that one spends in sleeping. For a healthy living, humans need around 7 hours of sleep every day. This is almost one third of a day. Now extrapolating that to the average of 75 years of life span of a person, it comes to almost 25 years. So, if we live for 75 years, we will end up sleeping for at least 25 of them. That is the level of importance of sleep in our lives.
Sleep is also a period of time in which many body functions are regulated. During our normal day, hormones and toxins gets accumulated in the cavity surrounding the brain. If you have any thoughts regarding where by and how to use mental health hospital in chennai, you can get in touch with us at our webpage. During sleeping, the brain drains these accumulated chemicals from the cerebral cavity. Secondly, sleep reduces the fatigue and tiredness of the body. It helps in memory retention as the transfer from short term to long term memory happens only during the sleep. More importantly, sleep also provides the opportunity for you to start your day afresh.
Types & Dangers of Sleep Disorders
Sleep Disorder is a condition in which the person is unable to have a normal sleep wake cycle. The disorder could be of many types like excessive sleeping, inadequate sleeping, and inability to sleep, walking while sleeping, speaking continuously during sleep, unpleasant and frequent disturbances during sleep, panic attacks, etc. All these disorders have a definitive and strong impact on the health of the person.
Some of the common symptoms of sleep disorders are as follows
• Feeling tired during the day.
• General depression or negative outlook about life
• Highly irritable
• Short temper
• Inability to concentrate in work
• Short attention span
• Mood swings
• Getting easily emotional
Sleeping Disorders Have to be treated
Sleeping disorders can have a lasting impact on your health. It is not to be taken lightly. Sleep disorders like insomnia can cause many social and personal problems for the person. Similarly hypersomnia or sleeping for extended hours also impact the life of the person. Just like the bodily disorders, sleep disorders have to be treated immediately. The best way to rid yourselves of all these disorders is to start leading a positive and healthy lifestyle. Some of the best ways to treat these disorders are to make lifestyle changes and lead a happy life. In chronic cases, you might need the help of a psychiatrist clinic like Serene Life Hospital to treat your disorders.
Best Sleeping Practices
The best cure is in the prevention of the disease. Sleep disorders are complicated by unhealthy practices in our life like staying up late in the night, watching a screen for a long time during day. Sometimes, even seemingly unrelated events like not getting ample of sunlight on the body can cause sleep disorders. Some of the best practices to maintain a healthy lifestyle are the following.
• Exercise daily – Exercise plays an important role in maintaining the overall health of the body. The old saying a healthy mind in a healthy body is not said without its reasons.
• Eat healthy food – We are what we eat. It is true to every letter in the sentence. Eat foods that are freshly made. Increase the amount of fresh foods in your diet. Reduce the intake of packaged or junk food as much as possible. These fast foods have a large quantity of salts and artificial flavours that are not good for the health of your body.
• Minimise the intake of coffee or tea after evening – Coffee and tea to a smaller extent are rich in caffeine. This is a stimulant that keeps you awake and active. When you consume large quantities of caffeine in the evenings, it tends to prevent your sleep. As a result, you stay up awake in the night and feel tired the next morning.
• Use Your Bedroom only for sleeping – Many a time, sleeping disorders are caused by psychological changes. When you have a practice of using your bedroom for your work and other activities, your mind does not associate the room with the sleep alone. It stimulates your mind and makes you active. Avoiding this one practice helps you to make big changes in the long run.
• Do not use Stimulants or Drugs – Most people who needs to work long hours resort to the stimulants and drugs to keep them awake throughout the night. While, it helps in the short time, it is not a viable option in the long run. These drugs cause huge changes to your metabolism and normal functioning of the body. There are also chances of you getting dependent and addicted on the substances. In case you suspect that you have an addiction, visit our deaddiction centre in Chennai. We can help you to fight your addiction and become a normal person again.
Now that you have known the best practices for having a sound sleep, follow them. Combat and tackle sleep disorders by making the above said changes in your life. Even after these changes, if you are suffering from these disorders, it is better to get the help of a sleep disorder clinic.
Get Help for Your Sleep Disorders
If you are recently facing sleeping issues due to the prolonged working hours or due to mental depression or tension, it is important to get professional help from a trained psychologist. At Serene Life Hospital, we have some of the best trained psychologists in Chennai. Our mental health clinic also provides therapy for a number of psychological conditions and problems.
Sleep disorder is many a time, a psycho-somatic problem that needs to be addressed carefully and treated with timely techniques. We provide behavioural therapy, psychotherapy, counselling and behaviour modification techniques for you to overcome all the difficulties and challenges in sleeping. If your sleep disorder is caused by depression or stress, then taking our stress management training and life skills training can help you to overcome them. At Serene Life Hospital we also provide relaxation therapy that frees your mind from the unpleasant thoughts, fears and panics.